Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Beijing Taxi Driver Diagnosed My Mom



Today I had a spectacular taxi driver on my way back from work.
I flagged him down on Guo Mao and while he was driving me to Nanluoguxiang, where I had to meet my friends, he was listening to the radio. The station playing was on health topics.
First an old lady explained that she is 74 and she has a number of diseases - some of them were diabetes, insomnia, anemia and a small benign tumor on her arm. She spoke about 10 min while the radio host was trying in vain to interject something, then the driver sighed and changed to another health topics station. Noticing my interest in his choice, he asked me if I understood the programs. I confessed that I understood, and I asked him why he was so much interested in this.
He explained that these are programs, which tell you how to cure, or keep in check any existing illness that you might have. I didn’t really believe, and it probably showed on my face, so he decided to prove it to me.

He asked does anyone in my family have any health problems.
The first thing that came to my mind, was the high blood pressure my mom suffers from.
The driver jumped happily in his seat - Of course! It’s really simple! She has a problem with her cervical vertebrae! (脑颈椎)
-Oh? - i was surprised
- Yes! How high is her blood pressure?
- 280/220 - I ventured from memory.
-And her bottom reading?
- it’s 220.
- And does it fluctuate sometimes?
- I guess so....
- Does it go down when she takes her pills?
- I think it does.
-Exactly! - the driver was sure - She has a problem with her cervical vertebrae!
- But how can you know?- i was curious.
- It is always like that. Does her neck hurt?
- No, it doesn’t - I tried to say.
- Exactly! There are many kinds of problems with the cervical vertebrae, and only some of them hurt!
- How can she know if she really has a problem there? - I asked, even more curious.
- Very easy, - explained the driver, - tell her to check if the temperature on her neck is constant, on all of the neck. I am sure that some places are cold, and some are hot.
- I see - I said, - But she is a bit overweight, and it might not be obvious.
- Oh, than she must sweat a lot on her neck!
- I think she does - I agreed
- Now, that’s the reason - the driver insisted.
-I have a low blood pressure - I told him - What about me?
- Cervical vertebrae!
-Me too?
- Of course! - replied confidently the driver. - All blood problems are because of cervical vertebrae.
- But how can you know it’s that simple? - I inquired, even more curious.
- It’s usually a very simple reason. You the Westerners, you like to complicate everything and take a lot of tests and pills. We have a long history in studying health and we know.

I was impressed.

- Let me see your left hand! - he asked.
I obliged.
After looking at my palm for about 3 seconds, he gave his opinion:
- You like to dream, don’t you?
- Hmmm, yes, but who doesn’t?
-Nooo, you don’t understand - he seemed dejected. - On your palm you have a lot of small lines and from there I could see that you like to dream.

I had to agree, I do have a lot of dreams when I sleep and I do enjoy them.

-Call your mom and tell her to check her cervical vertebrae.
- I will - I promised.

Then we arrived at Nanluoguxiang and unfortunately he couldn’t share more of his health wisdom with me, but I thanked him.

You never know what will happen to you in any day in Beijing, but one thing I do know - we live in interesting times here. Just like in the old so-called Chinese curse - May You Live In Interesting Times.

I don’t find it a curse, though :)

I will call my mom tonight.... just in case, you know.

1 comment:

Missis said...

Call her, I would, too , If I were you. You never know... I'd talk to that guy again if possible.Sounds quite unteresting!