Friday, April 24, 2009

Pierre is leaving China

Pierre, the gentle giant... my friend, my cousin Pierre is leaving in July.
He has helped me so much in his stay in China... I simply cannot imagine life without him in this country. 

I met him first in 2004, when he arrived in China and didn’t know anything about this strange country. 
Throughout his stay here he always stayed calm, wise and nice to everyone.
He was even nice to my ex-boyfriend, who definitely was not a nice person.
Every time we would fight with my ex, Pierre would be the person I call.. to talk about what happened, to cry, to complain, to be consoled. 
He had all the reasons, he refused to believe in anything bad, he always refuted all the evil ideas and mean words said and found a way for things to work out. 
He was my anchor in the stormy seas, a window to a happy place.
I have never seen him angry... well, maybe once, when we were in the zoo, and the 100-th Chinese turned to stare at him, he was annoyed and shouted - do not stare at me, there are much more interesting animals here.
Pierre, who always had time to talk and listen.
Pierre, who was always there for me when I had to move house, carrying heavy things without as much as a sigh from corner to corner in my new apartments until I was satisfied. 
Pierre, who always supported all my decisions, be it to buy the n-tieth mobile phone, change a job or a hairstyle or even break up with my boyfriend. 
For the last he stayed and listened to me talk about my reasons for 6 straight hours...without ever appearing bored or tired. Then he came with me to the airport to get my earrings, which I had forgotten in the hotel room of a guy last night. That hotel room, and the time I spent there made me realize that I had to break off the poisonous relationship that still weighed on me. Weighed with dead weight, because there was no love, no trust, nothing... Pierre listened for 6 hours, and agreed with me - You need something better than that, Sue.
Pierre, who I call my cousin, because sometimes families are not based on blood, he couldn’t be real family, but  to me is more than that, even if I call him simply cousin.
Pierre, who always has an advice for a difficult moment.
Pierre, who laughs with all his heart when he is happy and you can see that in his eyes.
Pierre, who loves pizza and good music.
Pierre, who is friends with everyone. 
Pierre, who is always late for everything but you cannot get angry at him when he appears and smiles and says Ah, Sue!
Pierre is leaving China. 
I’ll stop writing because I am going to cry.

No comments: